Due to the advancement in the manufacturing process and technology, fake grass for patios and balconies look and feels like authentic grass surfaces. In fact, if you step on fake grass, you’ll even feel the squishy feeling between your toes –– similar to what real grass feels like.
The benefits of patio turf include extreme durability, added comfort, easy maintenance, and of course added value to your home. As a homeowner, it’s natural that you’re always looking for ways to elevate your home’s appeal. Thankfully, choosing the best artificial grass for your outdoor space can significantly elevate your exterior.
If you want to invest in fake grass for your patios and balconies, read this detailed guide first.
Tips To Find the Best Fake Grass for Balcony and Patios
Before sprucing up your patio turf with fake grass, keep these tips in mind so you don’t regret your investment.
You can begin your research by investigating top or local manufacturers in the industry. Once you have a list of artificial grass installers, take note of their product’s specifications. This way, you can assess if their fake grass will suit your outdoor space.
Know Patio Turf Terminology
Buying artificial grass will introduce you to a host of essential terms that can assist you in creating an everlasting and beautiful patio or balcony. To help you out, here are common terms you should be familiar with:
- Denier: This refers to the grass fibers’ linear mass density.
- Infill: The rubber or sand used on top of the turf. The infill will provide stability and cushion.
- Face weight: The fibers’ weight within the product without the backing’s weight. The greater the face weight, the denser the fake grass. Generally, the measurement is in ounces per square yard.
- Gauge: Refers to the distance between stitch rows. Depending on the grass’ weight, half an inch gauge or less is ideal.
- Polyethylene: As the softest type of plastic, polyethylene is commonly used in face yarns.
- Polypropylene: A coarser type of plastic typically used in sand-filled putting greens or thatch yarns.
- Polyurethane: Utilized as the backing’s coating, locking the fibers in place.
- Thatch: A textured yarn, with varying colors, that’s found below the face yarn to promote better recovery.
- Tuft bind: Refers to the force required to pull a tufted blade out.
Consider Your Budget
The national average cost of fake grass is $12.33 per square foot. Meanwhile, the low-end and high-end types of fake grass are $5.50 and $18.75, respectively.
Not sure how to measure the size of your upcoming project? We just put together a handy guide on measuring square footage for artificial turf!
Understand the Pros and Cons
Nowadays, it can be difficult to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of artificial grass. The main reason is there aren’t many cons associated with artificial turf anymore.
But, for your reference, here are the facts about fake grass you need to keep in mind.
Here are the major advantages you can receive from an artificial grass patio or balcony.
- Save on Water: Fake grass will dramatically reduce your water usage without compromising your yard’s overall aesthetic. Hence, in addition to being eco-friendly, opting for fake grass will also invite more savings.
- No Dangerous Chemical Residues: Unlike real grass, artificial grass doesn’t need pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers to retain its beauty and prevent bugs or insects. With this characteristic, fake grass is a safe option as you’ll prevent the dangers brought about by chemical residues.
- Durable: Fake grass is made of materials that can withstand any form of torture –– dig-proof for dogs, stain and fade-resistant, and it won’t fray.
Meanwhile, fake grass is reported to have the following drawbacks.
- Hot: As some types of infill can raise the grass’ surface temperature, some types of artificial grass will hold more heat compared to natural grass.
- Odor Build-Up: Similar to natural grass, failing to clean up any messes will result in foul odors. This is especially true since some infill can hold nasty odors.
- Toxic Concerns: Most people were concerned that water running off from crumb rubber infill might harm humans, pets, and the environment. But different studies have shown that there are only minimal levels of toxic residue, and you can always use safer infill alternatives.
Important Considerations Before Investing in Artificial Grass
Now that you know some tips when looking for fake grass, the next step is to keep these important considerations in mind. In return, you can rest assured that you can source high-quality artificial grass for your roof, deck, patio, balcony, and outdoor living space.
The first consideration is to determine the amount of foot traffic in the area you wish to be covered with fake grass. The presence of pets and/or kids who enjoy the outdoors will demand a highly durable type of artificial grass. Using fake grass that can’t withstand heavy traffic will result in quick wear and tear.
Keep in mind, however, that choosing high durable fake grass will compromise your comfort levels. Still, quality artificial grass will often have a non-abrasive and soft texture.
Springy and Resilient Fibers
Springy and resilient fibers will resist staying flat as they’ll always return to their original, upright position whenever you’re walking on them. The fibers’ resilience is mainly due to the following reasons:
- The varying yarns used when creating the fake grass
- Quality and type of infill
- If the turf is regularly maintained
Professional Turf Installers
Last, but certainly not least, you need to work with an experienced and professional fake grass installation company to fully enjoy the benefits that artificial grass brings. When looking for a professional turf installer, read customer reviews not just on their website but also from different sources.
The Best Artificial Grass for Patios and Balconies
Since artificial grass is becoming more popular for a variety of reasons, it may be difficult for you to choose the right one for your patio or balcony, despite having the information above in mind. To help solve your problem, here’s our recommendation for the best artificial grass patio or balcony.
- Softlawn Prime Fescue
- Prime Fescue is our newest offering using the Mini-Diamond stalk yarn. This yarn is very durable and can stand up to traffic.
- Softlawn EZ Play
- EZ Play is a signature patio turf product with a thatch layer for added body, reducing the amount of infill required.
- Softlawn Bermuda Blend
- The two-color blend of this surface provides an authentic look and feel that resembles a natural lawn.
If you want to have aesthetically pleasing patios and balconies with minimal maintenance, then invest in artificial grass.